Alongside our partners at WESST, we’re excited to announce five companies accepted to ActivateNM, a new hybrid startup accelerator program for early-stage New Mexico based businesses with high-growth potential.
After passing through a competitive application process, the startups chosen address problems in a variety of industries but share the common thread of having a software or software-enabled product. They are:
- CustomCult. Custom Cult provides software and hardware to enable mass customization of snowboards and skis.
- FruitStand Technology. FruitStand Technology is a highly curated marketplace for technical professionals across the globe, providing subscription based website, design and marketing services.
- Hangerang. Hangerang enables users to quickly create, share, and participate in real life social experiences to combat loneliness and increase traffic for local businesses.
- Schedule My Rent. Schedule My Rent helps landlords by dramatically reduce the time and effort of property management with simple and powerful online services.
- Think Ubiquitous. Makers of the Tellus Data Platform which provides tools to streamline and monetize the skills and expertise of individuals and small groups.
Starting October 15 and ending in a public Demo Day December 7 at WESST, ABQid and WESST will host a Lean Startup based curriculum facilitated by experts in the local startup community. Guest Facilitators will include experienced executives from TechGrind, BoomTime, DescartesLabs, and BabyPage, as well as expert service providers such as Lerner Venture Law, Peacock Law, and Slide 12.
In addition to the facilitated weekly sessions, companies are mentored by Lean Startup experts who will attach to individual teams for the duration of the eight weeks, helping them apply principles to the big customer acquisition milestones they need to achieve to prove their model.
Participating companies will also have access to coworking space, shared infrastructure, and staff consulting in the award-winning WESST Enterprise Center in the heart of Albuquerque’s Innovation District.
The Lean Startup method, which is a proven method for developing and managing startups, has been adopted the world over. Since 2014, ABQid has trained over 500 New Mexicans in the method and invested in 31 local companies who embody Lean practices in their early formation. For over thirty years, WESST has provided foundational business and financial consulting that all businesses need to grow.
Finally, while there is an 8-week curriculum outlay customized for each company in the cohort, the program itself lasts for as long as it takes for startups to achieve the milestone(s) they set out to hit. Typically, companies will be expected to move through the program in 3-6 months.
The program is sponsored by the City of Albuquerque.